Latest Posts

February 2015 Birchbox First Look

By 9:40 PM

So, this month I wasn't tickled rosy by the sample first picks in my Birchbox and I just knew that it would be the lavender lotion all over again (I'm shuddering violently at the memory).  I'd end up with the item I wanted the least.  This month there was a guest box by Rent the Runway.  Rent the Runway is a company that rents dresses and accessories for about a quarter of the price of purchasing.  It's a pretty nifty idea.


Even though it wouldn't be a surprise, I was a lot more excited about the things in the box.  Plus, super cute box.

I just love the flower details on the side.
In case you were unaware, Birchbox is a $10.00 a month subscription box that gives you five samples.  It can be a great way to find products you love, like, or hate.  You can refer friends for points.

As usual it's packaged very well.
I was so excited for this box to come.  I wasn't waiting by the mailbox or anything, but I might have been stalking the tracking.

I love the packaging on the container.
This was one of the products I wasn't jumping up and down for, but hey, I can't remember the last time I paid for dry shampoo.  I've also been wanting to try Fekkai.  The Fekkai Blowout Hair Refresher is $10.00 for a 1.7 oz and $40.00 for 4.9 oz.  It smells like fresh shampoo.  It seems to volumize well.

I adore scrubs.
Another brand I've been wanting to try is derma e.  In the winter a good scrub is about as important as a good pair of gloves.  So, I was excited to try this as well.  The derma e Anti-Wrinkle Vitamin A Gly colic Scrub is for normal to oily skin.  It has a very faint scent.  When I first squeezed it out and saw the little brown flecks I was worried it was like a certain scrub I loved in my youth but have learned with age is actually a harsh scrub.  It wasn't harsh at all.  It feels creamy and is leaves your skin glowing.  It's 100% vegan, cruelty free, and paraben free.  It has a Broke Woman friendly price point.  It's $12.75 for 4 oz.  

Mine kinda leaked a little.
Sadly, this was the thing that sold me on the box.  I have tried the Not Soap Radio body wash in the lemon scent (When Life Gives You too many Lemons....).  I was excited about that because I've been wanting lemon scented things that don't smell like Fruit Loops.  Lemon Sugar.  That's the smell.  

A little off track?  Okay!  Well, I've seen this on the Birchbox site and I was thinking of using my points to purchase it.  I have a whopping $30.00 worth right now!  I've seen the Not Soap Radio The Stuff Cupid Dips His Arrows In before and I keep thinking about purchasing it.  But I had no idea what it smelled like!

 It is a glorious blackberry and vanilla scent that's mild, it doesn't last very long on the skin.  Some people have found it to be drying, but since I do so much junk for my skin, I haven't found it to be.  This has a decent price of $16.00 for 13 oz.  It is high priced if you use drug store, but cheap for people who buy higher end.

My cat kept sending this rolling.  This pic took forever to get lol!
I kept wondering which color of the eyeliner I would get.  I have a purple of theirs which was nice.  I saw a lime green and I was kinda nervous I would get that.  Then I started imagining makeup looks with lime green.


I received Sumita in the color Raina.   I like navy liners.  They're great for tired eyes and making them look a little less red.  I wear contacts and my eyes are pretty much always a little red.  It is sort of creamy but a little crumbly.  It looks brighter in the water line and needs a few coats.  It doesn't last long there.  It is $11.00 for the full size.

How cute is this packaging?
I was excited to get this lip-gloss.  I like theBalm products in general.  I received theBalm Read My Lips in the color Bam!  It's supposed to be a rose pink.  As others have said it's more peachy pink.


It is infused with ginseng and I guess since we ingest so much lip products a year, it might be mentally stimulating.  I liked the formula, but it's not really my color (guess what you'll be getting tomorrow Misty?).  Just too warm for me.  It's $15.00 for the full size.  It's supposed to be paraben and cruelty free.

I was happy with my Birchbox.  I would have loved the lip-gloss if it wasn't so warm.  The eye-liner is okay, but I use Urban Decay and it's a tough bar to touch.  I really liked the dry shampoo, the scrub and the body wash.  I think Rent the Runway has great taste.  

Birchbox set a high bar.  Will ipsy manage to meet or beat it?  Or will it fall short?

You Might Also Like

0 comments