Latest Posts

Holiday Red Lips and Some Not so Reds

By 5:52 PM

During this season the classic red lip pops out with all of its classic gorgeousness.  Sometimes it pops out on the teeth, which isn't so gorgeous.  I somehow gathered a collection of reds and a couple not so reds that really wanted to come out and play!




First up we have the MAC reds, RiRi Woo (which I don't think they sell anymore but it's pretty much the same thing as Ruby Woo) and Viva Glam Rihanna (the first one).  Both colors are lovely and sell for $16.00.  Which is on the mid-range as far as price goes.  MAC is like the gateway cosmetic.  I wouldn't say you need both, but they are very different.  

The Woo shade is matte, a little dry to apply, but has a great blue under tone that helps make your teeth appear whiter. It lasts quite a while, but can be drying on the lips.  

The Viva Glam is more frosty, more of warmer blue-red, applies smoothly, and lasts roughly three to four hours.  I adore the tube, not going to lie.  It's a frosted red bullet, which goes great with the red frost lipstick inside!  It is also of the Viva Glam group which has the purchase of this product helping people with AIDS.  Which can make you feel better about spending $16.00 on the lipstick!


When I apply these, I usually use a lip liner. Kandee Johnson made me believe I needed this liner and truly it is the only red liner I own.  It is MAC Cherry Lip Liner.  It applies well, lasts a long time, and if you watched the video, can be worn on its own.  It's a true red and I wear it with all of my reds.  It is $16.00, so if you buy one MAC lipstick and this, you're looking at $32.00

The Bite Beauty VIB Rouge Lipstick which was a shade made for Sephora for their VIB Rouge program deserved an honorable mention here.  I received it when Sephora broke the news on my birthday that I spend entirely too much money at Sephora.  It applies very creamy, is a cooler toned red.  I love what Bite Beauty stands for and that they have food grade ingredients.  The down side?  If you want to buy it after they lure you in with the cute little mini?  $28.00.  Ouch.  This ended up being the most expensive lipstick on the list.


Now for the liquid lipstick types.  For a true fiery red, the Sephora Cream Lip Stain 01 Always Red, is fantastic.  Of all the shades mentioned, it is the least expensive at only $13.00.  It is also the longest lasting.  This will make it through an eight hour day at work. It has a super soft, cushy doe foot applicator.  I usually brush off the excess and carefully apply it.  It dries matte within moments.  I highly recommend moisturizing your lips before applying as it will feel drier as the day goes on.  

Next is a Not so Red that I'm loving this season.  Judging from the amounts of compliments I get when I wear this color, others are loving it too. I received this as a sample in a holiday bag from Sephora. Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in Bachlorette by Kat VonD is a dark fuchsia with a touch of red.  It has a nice doe foot applicator that I recommend the same wipe down and moisturizing prior to use, as with the Sephora lipstick.  It lasts about as long and it also can feel dry about lunch time.  It doesn't dry as fast, but it will dry down to a matte finish.  At $19.00 it is in the mid-high range of our list.




Next on the Not so Red list is another Bite Beauty Lipstick.  It's the Luminous Creme Lipstick in Mulberry which is a gorgeous wine hued shade.  I'm not wild about the weird lid (it reminds me of the Whistle Top building in Denver -also called the Mailbox Top- and it's just eh), but the creamy formula and the rich pigmented color, make it drool worthy.  It can be very messy as far as application, so you do want to take your time with it.  It is $24.00 at Sephora.

I actually tried on all of the lipsticks, but the lighting was terrible and you couldn't really see the differences.  This is Fashion Icon and it's not doing it justice.
Last on the list is Lancome's Color Design Lipstick in Fashion Icon.  I received this in a gift with purchase and oh boy was I pleasantly surprised!  If you just went by swatches on websites you would never want this, it looks like a swipe of mud with a touch of wine.  They classify this one as a metallic and it truly comes out as a metallic plum that really catches the eye.  It applies smoothly but does have a faint grit due to all of the micro glitter.  It lasts about three to four hours.  This is another one that gets lots of compliments.  At $22.50 it is more pricey for the full size.


 From Left to Right: Bachlorette, Mulberry, Fashion Icon, VIB Rouge, Cherry, Riri Woo, Viva Glam Rihanna, and Always Red.


  • If you're in the mood for a red, Sephora's Always Red is a great place to start.  Its price and the length of time it lasts makes it a great buy.
  • If you hate that reds pull too orange on you?  You want to go with Ruby Woo or Viva Glam Rihanna, depending on how you feel about matte, the blue undertones should help it pull more true red.
  • If you're not into reds, but want to get your toes wet, I'd suggest Bachlorette.
  • If you're bold and want more berry, Mulberry is great.
  • If you love a good metallic look or just something different, Fashion Icon will float your nog.

* I purchased all of these with my abused debit card unless they were samples given.  No company thought I should review their product.

** I always try to use Ebates to buy my products.  Sephora, Nordstrom, and Macy's give you a percentage back.  MAC does not, but you can buy MAC at Nordstrom and Macy's to get your cash back.



You Might Also Like

0 comments