Latest Posts

February 2016 Birchbox First Look

By 10:50 PM

Birchbox came first this month, so we'll start with Birchbox.  It's a $10.00 a month subscription box.  I love their points system.  You can refer friends for 50 points and if you ever want to use my link it's here.

The sample choices were a lip balm, the Hey Honey Take It Off Mask, Ren Mask, Whish Cleansing Oil, or the featured "Date Night" box.  I very rarely pick the featured box, but it had something I wanted, so I decided to go for it.

Date Night
The box was fun and brightly colored.  It reminded me that spring is around the corner and that is an uplifting thought!


As usual, the box is well packaged and pretty.  There is a card that lists the the items on the inside and the prices for the full sizes.

Catherine Malandrino
I love receiving perfume (except Harvey Prince).  This was the Catherine Malandrino Romance de Provence which is $80.00 for the full size 1.7 oz.  Unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to try this.  The bottle leaked all over my box and there was not even a drop to try.

Amika
I also got the Amika Bombshell Spray which is $10.00 for the 2 oz size and $24.00 for the 8 oz.  It is formulated with sea buckthorn berry and rice starch among many other things.  It does not test on animals.  It has a nice scent.  I'm looking froward to trying this.

Cynthia Rowley
The Cynthia Rowley Brightening Illuminator is exclusive to Birchbox.  It has a subtle pink hue and is more pearly than shimmery.  I like how the little sample is, but I'm not sure I would like the full size because it has a brush and those just seem annoying and like they would be less hygienic.  The full size is .11 oz and sells for $28.00.

Whish
I also received the Whish Renewing Mud Mask.  It is $44.00 for the full sized 2 oz bottle.  It has a slightly beerish scent.  It isn't tested on animals and doesn't contain phthalates, parabens, or sulfates.  I tried it on the backs of my hands and it felt slightly cooling and had an very slight grain.  It has some exfoliating.  After I rinsed it off, I no longer had the beer scent, there was a light floral scent.  I would recommend testing this first as I've read that some people had issues with this causing redness on their face.  You definitely don't want to scrub hard, just be gentle.  I'm not sure I see paying $44.00 for it, but we'll see.



 The last item is the whole reason I wanted this box.  I have always wanted to try the OCC Lip Tars.  This was the Obsessive Compulsive Lip Tar in Strumpet.  It is a lovely raspberry color.  You only need a small drop and a lip brush to carefully paint your lips with this.  I kinda found it messy.  I had a really hard time finding this test tube online.

However the liquid lipstick form of it is $16.00 for .14 oz.  I applied a thin layer when I tried it.  I didn't find it to be especially long lasting.  Maybe the liquid lipstick is better, I don't know.  If they aren't selling the tube, but the lipstick, perhaps that's the sample we should have received?

I liked this box, I'm glad I got a chance to try the OCC Lip Tars, although I probably wouldn't purchase them in the future.  I was definitely disappointed I couldn't even try the perfume.

When Ipsy arrives, we can get down to the battle!

* I buy my own boxes.  Birchbox doesn't have a date night planned with me, nor did they send me the box until I paid for it.

You Might Also Like

0 comments