Latest Posts

Estée Lauder Little Black Primer

By 8:39 PM

As you probably know KathleenLights could sell me ice cream in a blizzard and I'm lactose intolerant.  She mentions something and I start think I need or want that thing.  It's worse than the Jaclyn Hill Effect for me, because of how rigorously Jaclyn pumps Gerard Cosmetics, and Kathleen just feels so sweet and honest.  Not that Jaclyn doesn't do that to me, I just use more caution now.

In her February Favorites (it was a special video to me or something) she mentioned an eyelash primer.  I love fake lashes and I used to wear them all the time, but I've been a little more lazy in the mornings.  Like some mornings I have 15 mins to do my makeup and hair and get dressed.  I seriously don't know what's wrong with me other than insomnia.  Anyways.  I like primers now and then.

Little Black Primer
So, I decided to give the Estée Lauder Little Black Primer a go.  It isn't cheap.  It's $24.00 for the full size.

"Tint. Amplify. Set."
What makes this different from most primers is that it is black.  You won't get that grey lash look or random white clump.


As far as a primer, it's pretty decent.  Nothing especially special and there are cheaper ones that amplify your lashes just as much.  The brush tends to get a lot of product on it and if you have very basic eye lashes like I do it may star them together a little like you have been crying or something.  Make sure to clean the excess of your brush, especially if it's new.

If you do the Wayne Goss, this will be avoided, and it will really help you get the curl to stay.  Which is great, because my lashes are stick straight and hate to curl.  A waterproof mascara works wonders with this technique and applying your favorite mascara over it.  It makes wanting a primer kinda obsolete.

The brush, out of focus ><
However, I'm not calling this hype just yet because of the last part of their claim.  The "set."  That's where I fell in love with this.  If you have a mascara that you love, that does wonderful things to your lashes but tends to flake (TooFaced Better Than Sex), this will set it and it won't flake off.  It will prevent you from going all panda at the end of the day.  That is where this really shines.  Will a waterproof mascara applied over mascara do the same?  Maybe?


  • If you have long luscious lashes, this will probably work best for you, although, why would you need this?  To show off more?  Okay, point taken, you now look like you've double stacked lashes.  
  • If you have trouble holding a curl, this will help a little, but Goss technique will work just as well.  
  • If you just want something that will darken your lashes and look very natural, this will work for you, but you can always use the Goss technique as well.
  • If you want a black primer, this is one of those.
  • If you want to make that flaking mascara work for you, this is the product.
  • If you have multiple problems like shorter lashes, flaking mascara, straight lashes, this might make you happy.
This is decent, a little pricey, but there are makeup techniques that can make up for this product.  The thing I like the most about it is that it makes your mascara stay all day, without flaking off.  As such it is almost like trying to take off a water proof mascara.  I use oils or makeup remover to take it off.

One thing to keep in mind that mascaras and eyelash primers are some of the most subjective makeup products.  It is very easy to love something someone else hates and vice versa.  I do really love this with Urban Decay's Perversion mascara.  I like the curved brush.  I do like this product but I don't think it's a must have or the world will end sort of product.

* I bought my own Estée Lauder Primer.  No one told me to get into the prime time.

You Might Also Like

0 comments